Fancy making a little tote Easter hunt bag for your children to collect their Easter Eggs? Here's how.
You will need:
1 Fat Quarter of outer fabric. I used Field Green Bunnies fabric, perfect for Easter!
1 Fat Quarter of lining fabric. I used a solid Yellow.
How to make your bag.
1. First of all, cut out 2 x 9 inch squares from your outer bag fabric and lining. Then cut 2 x strips of fabric from your outer bag fabric measuring approx. 5 x 12".
If you wish to make a larger bag, cut larger squares as required and make your straps slightly longer.
2. To make the straps, take one piece of strap fabric, fold each side into the centre so they meet in the middle and press, then fold in half and press again. This will give you one strap of 4 layers of fabric. Top stitch down the length of both sides of the strap. Repeat for the second strap.
Your straps are now ready!
3. For the bag, put the 2 outer bag fabric pieces right sides together and sew along both sides and the bottom of the bag using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Repeat with the lining fabric.
4. To make a box corner, open out one bottom corner of your main bag, putting the side seam and bottom seam together. Sew a line approx. 1 inch from the corner, perpendicular to the side seam.
Repeat for the other corner.
Repeat with the lining.
5. Turn your outer bag right side out. Take one strap and pin the edge of the strap to the top of the bag on one side about 1.5 inches in. Pin the other end of the strap in the same way. Repeat with the other strap on the other side of your bag.
6. Put the outer bag inside the lining so that right sides are together with the straps sandwiched between the 2 pieces of fabric. Line up the side seams and pin around the top edge of the bag.
7. Sew around the top edge of the bag using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Start from the inside of one strap and go out towards the side seam, round and across both edges of the other strap, carry on towards the second side seam and stop on the inside of the other edge of the first strap. This should leave a gap between the strap edges on one side. Pull the bag and straps through the gap to turn the bag the right way round.
8. Topstitch all the way around the top edge of the bag around 1/8 inch away from the edge.
Your bag is now complete and ready for collecting Easter eggs! Happy Easter! 🐣